Garages are massive pieces of heavy equipment, and even though they are completely commonplace and familiar, can pose a danger to animals, small children, and even full grown adults when they aren’t used properly. Here’s a guide from the garage door installation experts here at Los Angeles Garage Door and Gate on how to ensure that your garage is fully childproofed.
HOW DO I KNOW IF MY GARAGE IS SAFE FOR MY CHILDREN?
Ask the following questions of yourself and your garage:
- Can my children reach potentially dangerous tools or chemicals in my garage?
- Can my children get into the garage garbage?
- How regularly do I have my garage door maintained?
- Can I lessen the clutter in my garage?
- Can my child easily enter and exit my garage?
- Do I lock my vehicles when they are not in use?
HOW TO CHILDPROOF YOUR GARAGE
GARAGE SAFETY PRACTICES
Make sure to keep your garage door opener secured at all times and out of the reach of children who may want to open and shut the garage door like a toy. This is very dangerous, as they can get caught in the moving parts of the garage door or the garage door opener. Ensure that your automatic garage door’s safety sensors are working properly, and are still sensitive to small obstruction of two inches high or less – so you can make sure that the toes and fingers of your children can’t get hurt by getting caught inside.