IOS Controlled Garage Doors
FIRST, YOU NEED TO VERIFY IF YOUR GARAGE DOOR HAS THE CAPABILITY TO WORK WITH IOS.
LiftMaster and Chamberlain garage door openers made after the year 1993 allow for the installation of special accessories that make it possible for a voice connection to work via IOS through iPhones or Apple Watches. Here’s how to pair your door according to the year of your garage door opener type.
- Post 1996 garage door openers: Your LiftMaster or Chamberlain door probably has Security+ Technology- check to see if it has an orange button labeled ‘learn’; this button will allow you to program remotes.
- Post 2006 garage door openers: Same as above, however the button labeled ‘learn’ is purple.
- Post 2013 garage door openers: These garage door openers additionally have MyQ technology, and the ‘learn’ button is round and yellow.
- Post 2017 garage door openers: Many LiftMaster and Chamberlain garage door openers after this period come equipped with Wi-Fi capabilities.
If you’re not sure what date your garage door was manufactured in, check out the metallic housing on your garage door opener for an engraved date.
CONNECTING GARAGE DOOR OPENERS TO SIRI
Here’s a guide to what accessories you will need to connect your garage door opener to Siri based on what year your garage door opener is from.
- Garage door openers from 1996-2013: You will need the 888LM MyQ Control Panel and the 828LM Internet Gateway.
- Garage door openers from 2014-August 2017: You will need the 819LMB MyQ Home Bridge.
- Garage door openers after August 2017: LiftMaster Garage door openers with model numbers followed with the letter W already have internal Wi-Fi capabilities, as well as many of the LiftMaster Contractor series model and some Chamberlain models. Check the respective company’s websites to see if your model has these capabilities.
WAYS YOU CAN CONTROL YOUR GARAGE DOOR WITH SIRI:
- Open and shut garage doors in Wi-FI mode when you’re near your home. If you have an Apple TV or an iPad with the latest IOS, you can operate the garage door from anywhere in the world just by saying “Hey Siri, close my garage door.”
- Check the open or shut status of the garage door when you’re not sure if you remembered to close it. You need to be somewhat near the door to do so, unless you have an Apple TV or an iPad using IOS-8 or whatever models come later than that. Simply ask Siri if the garage door is closed.
- Use the ‘Home’ IOS app to control all HomeKit accessories.